About the LTO Program
The LTO Program was formed in 1997 and three companies -- HP, IBM and Quantum -- jointly oversee the development and roadmap of Linear Tape-Open (LTO) technology. Providing open format specifications to simplify the complex array of tape storage options, LTO technology allows users to have multiple sources of product and media. The "open" nature of LTO technology also provides a means of enabling compatibility between different vendors' offerings.
Using this approach, LTO technology allows
- True multi-vendor format specifications for data interchange.
- Scalable performance characteristics to accommodate a wide range of system platforms - from a single server to the enterprise network - thus enabling future system growth.
- Multiple sources of products for OEMs and integrators.
- Multiple sources of media.
- Rapid technological advancement and adoption resulting from multi-vendor investment.
- Investment protection for OEMs and end users.
For questions regarding the LTO Program, please contact the Technology Provider Companies (HP, IBM and Quantum) .